In the the frame of the European CORNET Research Project SurfParquet of the institutes IHD Dresden and Holzforschung Austria different aspects of product quality of parquets were investigated.
- Parquet highlights the qualities of wood, as a natural and appealing flooring material. Surface structuring puts further emphasis on the natural structure of timber.
- As a natural product, parquet is sensitive to moisture and building chemicals; this sensitivity can be counterbalanced by suitable surface coatings and precautions during building phases.
- One of the advantages of parquet floorings is the possibility to rework them after some time of usage, here new concepts with a focus on structured surfaces must be developed.
- Main results of the research project:
- Coating materials such as oils and waxes are characterised with regard to improvement of the haptic and optic properties of the (structured) surfaces.
- Through parametric studies the causes of parquet discolouration were clarified, and an evaluation method for parquet resistance towards building chemicals was developed.
- Innovative concepts for cleaning and restoring these surfaces were developed especially in regard to structured surfaces.